University of Essex Home Page

Skip to main contentStudent Support Office Home Page

funding and money
international students
disability and dyslexia
contact us
links and FAQs
University of Essex Home Page


Visual impairment

We recognise that students with different types of visual impairment may have very different needs and we strongly advise you contact the Disability Service to discuss the impact of your impairment. You will be allocated a named adviser within the Disability Service who can provide on-going information, advice and guidance. 

If you are applying to the University, please contact us to discuss your specific requirements. 

We will work with you to to establish the support you require.  This may include;

  • Advice and guidance on the requirements of your course to help identify where difficulty may occur and how to accommodate this
  • Liaison with your department regarding your impairment and adjustments they can make to help you access the course
  • Information regarding accessible accommodation including facilities for guide dogs
  • Information on physical access including orientation
  • Advice on the assistance provided by Student Support Workers
  • Liaison with social services if appropriate
  • Provide advice and facilitate the transcription of course material into alternative formats
  • Your named adviser can give you more information on learning support and examination arrangements

Physical access

The campuses are physically accessible and a Braille map is available of the Colchester Campus.  Campus Assistants can provide induction to the campus or we can liaise with provisional agencies to provide specialist orientation.

Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans (PEEP)

You may be required to meet with the Fire Safety Officer to agree a PEEP. Please contact the Health and Safety Advisory Service to arrange a meeting at the start of your programme of study.


University of Essex Home Page
money | wellbeing | international | disability | contact us | a-z | student support