University of Essex Home Page

Skip to main contentStudent Support Office Home Page

funding and money
international students
disability and dyslexia
contact us
links and FAQs
University of Essex Home Page


Hearing Impairment

We recognise that students with different types of hearing impairment may have very different needs and we strongly advise you contact the Disability Service to discuss the impact of your impairment. You will be allocated a named adviser within the Disability Service who can provide on-going information, advice and guidance.

If you are applying to the University, we strongly advise you contact us to discuss your specific requirements. 

We will work with you to to establish the support you require.  This may include;

  • Advice and guidance on the requirements of your course to help identify where difficulty may occur and how to accommodate this
  • Liaison with your department regarding your impairment and adjustments they can make to help you access the course
  • Advice on the assistance provided by Student Support Workers
  • Liaison with Accommodation to provide a vibrating fire alarm for your room or facilities for an assistive dog

Access to your studies

Your named adviser can give you more information on learning support and examination arrangements.  You may also be interested to know;

  • the audio induction loop system available, further information and how to register to use this service can be found on the AVMS web pages
  • we liaise with local agencies to provide sign language interpreters or lip speakers
  • the University uses a Type Talk account to communicate with minicom users

Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans (PEEP)

You may be required to meet with the Fire Safety Officer to agree a PEEP. Please contact the Health & Safety Advisory Office to arrange a meeting at the start of your programme of study.


University of Essex Home Page
money | wellbeing | international | disability | contact us | a-z | student support