University of Essex Home Page

Skip to main contentStudent Support Office Home Page

funding and money
international students
disability and dyslexia
contact us
links and FAQs
University of Essex Home Page


Students with children

Money matters (for 'Home' students)

If you have children or other dependants who rely on you financially, you may be eligible for additional financial support.  Further details can be found on the Government support pages for undergraduate and postgraduate students.

You may also find useful information on our Mature Students webpage or our Pregnancy webpage. has a printable budget calculator on their website.

Full-time UK undergraduate students who are parents should be eligible for some or all of the following.  NHS courses are funded differently, please see information here and seek advice from Student Support.

In addition to the above, students who are lone parents may be eligible for:

  • Income Support/Jobseekers Allowance and Housing Benefit. Because of the way student funding income is treated in calculating these benefits, sometimes single parents can only receive them in the summer vacation (approx. 9 weeks).

Some of these entitlements will depend on the age/s of your child/ren. Some may not be available to you if you have had previous study at higher education level or already have a degree—please ask for further advice if this is the case. For further information about welfare benefits for students see here.

International students should ensure that they have sufficient funds to support themselves and any dependants for the duration of their studies.  If you are applying for a visa you must have the level of funds available as specified by the UKBA, please refer to the UKCISA website for more information.

Council tax

Information about Council Tax exemptions and discounts for students can be found on our Council Tax web page.

Additional support

We also have information about the additional support available to students with children.

[top of page]

University of Essex Home Page
money | wellbeing | international | disability | contact us | a-z | student support