University of Essex Home Page

Skip to main contentStudent Support Office Home Page

funding and money
international students
disability and dyslexia
contact us
links and FAQs
University of Essex Home Page

Additional funding for disabled students

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA)

UK students may be eligible to apply to their funding body for DSA, a grant for disabled students to cover the cost of recommended study support strategies.  This may be help with the cost of a non-medical helper, major items of specialist equipment and additional technology. The DSA is for full-time and part-time undergraduates and postgraduates and is not means tested.  You can apply before you start your course.

If you are funded by Student Finance England, forms for DSA and information are available at:

For students funded by other bodies, below are the links for your DSA information:

I've already applied for DSA and I am eligible, what now?

My letter says to book an Assessment of Need

How do I order my equipment?

What does my non-medical helper do?

Other funding

Snowdon Awards Scheme

Anybody, including international and part-time students with physical or sensory impairments in higher education can apply for this grant to provide equipment and support that cannot be funded from other sources. 

Funding for disabled international students

The DSA is only available for UK students who meet certain residence conditions. Students from other EU countries or overseas are not eligible to apply. If this applies to you, you should contact us to discuss funding.

Quick links

Disability Home Page
Disability benefits

Other funds & bursaries links

Funds and bursary schemes
Extra help for students with children and/or other dependants
Adult Dependants Grant

University of Essex Home Page
money | wellbeing | international | disability | contact us | a-z | student support