University of Essex Home Page

Skip to main contentStudent Support Office Home Page

funding and money
international students
disability and dyslexia
contact us
links and FAQs
University of Essex Home Page


Frequently Asked Questions

How can I extend my student visa?

Are there English classes for my partner?

See English Classes for Dependants of International Students and Staff.

What is HOST?

See the information on our website.


How can I obtain a visa to travel in Europe?

See information on Visiting Europe - Schengen Visa

Can I work whilst I am studying?

See Working in the UK whilst studying.

How do I find a job?   

See Working in the UK whilst studying.

Can I work in the UK when I have finished studying?   

See Working in the UK after your studies

Are there any funds available for International students when already studying?

International Students should, under the terms of their student immigration status, have sufficient funds to support themselves whilst in the UK. There are extremely limited funds available to international students once they are in the UK. Advice can be sought from your campus Student Support service.

I need to send a letter to my family/friend to support their visitors visa application, can you help?

We have compiled some information to help you write an Invitation Letter.

I want to open a bank account and need a letter from the University, where do I get this from?

See Opening a Bank Account in the UK.

[top of page]

University of Essex Home Page