University of Essex Home Page

Skip to main contentStudent Support Office Home Page

funding and money
international students
disability and dyslexia
contact us
links and FAQs
University of Essex Home Page


Fee Status Enquiries

*(Please note that there are deadlines for applying for a change in fee status - see dates in bold on this page)*

There are two rates of fees in higher education, 'overseas' and 'home' (UK and EU). Fees are assessed by the University in line with the relevant fees legislation for England. Student Support for England is assessed by the Student Loans Company using the relevant legislation.

New Students

It is the responsibility of the relevant Admissions office to assess the fee status of new students prior to registration with the University. If you believe that your fee status is incorrect, you should contact Admissions (see contact details below) to discuss the matter before you register with the University. If your fee status has already been assessed by Admissions by means of the standard University fee status assessment questionnaire, you should note that no further review of your fee status will take place unless you provide information about a change in your circumstances, which was not available at the time of the original assessment.

The following latest deadlines apply to fee status assessments undertaken by the relevant Admissions office:

  • Thursday 31 October 2013 for September and October starters

  • Friday 31 January 2014 for January starters

  • Saturday 10 May 2014 for April starters

If you believe your fee status is incorrect please email the relevant Admissions contact before you register:

Can I become a home fee payer after the start of my course?

When there is a change in fee regulations that may affect registered students fee status, i.e. your country joins the EU, you will be contacted by the University. If you qualify your fee status will be amended. In these cases fee status will usually change at the beginning of the next academic year, not before.

It is possible that your personal circumstances change after you have commenced your degree. In most cases fee status can not be amended after a degree has begun, however, there are some circumstances where a student can change their fee status from the start of the next academic year, see below. In all cases mentioned you must also be able to meet the residency requirements on the first day of the first academic year of your course. Please note that living in the UK for three years does not, on its own, mean that you will become eligible for 'home' fees.

You might be able to change fee status if you become:

  • an EU national or the family member of an EU national

  • an EEA or Swiss migrant worker or the family member of such a person

  • a refugee or the spouse, civil partner or child of a refugee

  • a person whose refugee status was not granted but was allowed to remain in the UK with Humanitarian Protection, and their family, or the spouse, civil partner or child of such a person

  • the child of a Swiss national

  • the child of a Turkish worker in the UK

Please note that if you obtain Indefinite Leave to Remain after commencing your course your fee status will usually remain as overseas, this is because you must be 'settled' before the first day of the first academic year of your course.

For October starters the first day of the first academic year of your course will be the 1st September.

I believe I am now entitled to home fee status, what can I do?

Firstly, please read the UKCISA information. The guidance is very detailed, please read it carefully. If you believe you meet one of the criteria to be eligible to change your fee status please contact the appropriate service:

If you are based at Loughton or Southend campus: Contact Student Support in the first instance.

If you are based at Colchester campus: Visit the Student Support drop-in during our opening hours, please bring the following documents with you:

  • Your copy of UKCISA guidance note Fee status in England: Higher Education' circle which category you think applies to you and write on it how you meet ALL requirements.

  • A fully completed fee status questionnaire

  • Passport

  • All Immigration documentation, i.e. visa/ID card/letter from Home Office

  • Any other documentation you think may be relevant

What happens next:

Your case will be passed to a specialist within Student Support who will fully investigate your case. If we have further queries or need further documentation you will be contacted, usually by email to your @essex address.

An application and all documentation required to assess your fee status must be received by the investigator by the 31 October in order for any agreed fee status change to be authorised for that academic year. For example, for a change to fee status for academic year 2012/13 all documentation must be received by 31/10/2012.

If we believe your fee status is incorrect Student Support will contact the Academic Registrar to seek approval for a change to your fee status from the start of the next academic year.

You will be emailed, to your @essex address, with the outcome of the investigation and the Registry will be informed of any agreed change to your fee status.

Please note that fee status enquiries can take some time to investigate thoroughly.

Legislation and guidance (Fees and Student Support - Higher Education in England)

  • Higher Education Act 2004 (2004 Chapter 8)

  • The Student Fees (Qualifying Courses and Persons) (England) Regulations 2007. Statutory Instrument (SI) 2007 No 778

  • The Student Fees (Qualifying Courses and Persons) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2008. Statutory Instrument (SI) 2008 No 1640

  • The Education (Fees and Awards) (England) Regulations 2007, SI 2007 No 779

  • The Education (Student Fees, Awards and Support) (Amendment) Regulations 2007, SI 2007 No 1336

  • The Education (Student Fees, Awards and Support) (Amendment) (No 2) Regulations 2007, SI 2007 No 2263

  • The Student Fees (Amounts) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2009, SI 2009 No 3113

Government legislation is published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, part of The National Archive and can be searched for on their website.

[top of page]

University of Essex Home Page
money | wellbeing | international | disability | contact us | a-z | student support