University of Essex Home Page

Skip to main contentStudent Support Office Home Page

funding and money
international students
disability and dyslexia
contact us
links and FAQs
University of Essex Home Page


Working Whilst Studying

Many students have to work part-time to supplement their income while they study. If you are struggling financially and you do not work we advise you to look for some part-time employment as soon as possible.

Check the Employability and Careers website for information on working part time and much more.

International students:

Most EEA/Swiss students are able to work in the UK whilst they are studying. However, if you are from Croatia you will need to apply for and receive a registration card before you start work.

Students from outside the EEA, you must have immigration permission that allows you to work in the UK.

The hours you will be able to work will be restricted as will the type of employment. You must ensure you never work outside of those restrictions. More information is available in the 'arriving and living in the UK' section of our immigration pages.


University of Essex Home Page
money | wellbeing | international | disability | contact us | a-z | student support